Gabriel Metcalf, CEO of the Committee for Sydney:
“After all the talk, this transformative project for Sydney, the Central Coast and Hunter, and the nation is at last picking up speed.
Today’s $500m commitment from the NSW Government means we now have state and federal governments working together to deliver on fast rail.
Getting on a trip from Gosford to the city in 25 minutes and Newcastle under an hour will be a gamechanger for commuters, students and many others – it will reshape the geography of our city.
Better connections across this region, south to Wollongong, north to the Central Coast and Newcastle, and linking into Sydney’s west, means we will effectively work like a bigger global city, with more economic gravitational pull.
It will give people more choice about where they work, where they live, and how they get around.
As we emerge from two a half years of disruption and lockdown, this is a project will get people inspired about Sydney’s future and kickstart our economic recovery.”
Notes on relevant recent publications from the Committee:
- Running out of money is a choice: thoughts for the next NSW budget
- Priorities for the next Australian Government
- Ten ideas for the next Greater Sydney Region Plan
- Improving Sydney’s Future Transport October 2021 – 12 ideas for the update to the Future Transport Strategy
- The Sandstone Mega-Region, uniting Newcastle, the Central Coast, Sydney and Wollongong